Thursday, May 8, 2008

The White Buffalo has Left the Building

Let me get straight to the point on this one and tell you that Buffalo Turquoise (a.k.a. White Turquoise, Albino Turquoise, White Jasper) does not exist. Nope, sorry. Mmmm, I know I know...people get sucked into the whole trap of "Buffalo Turquoise is mystical and very important in the Native American culture". Simply not so. *kappow-pop-blip* I hear bubbles bursting but please note that there’s nothing to be upset about!!! Really. Ohhh trust me, I was not a happy camper when I discovered that all of my rare White Buffalo stones were not the priceless little treasures that I had been led to believe. I felt like a major "Hee-haw-hee-haw".

We’re talking about Howlite. A calcium silicoborate that is indeed considered a semi-precious stone, just like Turquoise, and has a spider-web matrix that will range from light grey to black. It’s a very beautiful and popular stone that’s native to North America. Howlite is named after mineralogist Henry How, who first discovered the gemstone in Nova Scotia during the 19th century. It is known as the stone of memory, knowledge and progress, and is said to encourage reasoning, observation, discernment, patience and tact. Uhhh, do I particularly believe all of that? *cough* I personally think that it looks beautiful in jewelry and hope that it would simply encourage compliments and nods for said pieces. My stress, on the other hand, is handled at the gym with my dear friend… Mr. Punching Bag.

Howlite takes very well to being dyed as it is soft and porous; it is often dyed with rich hues to imitate the more expensive stones. In my opinion, when it is dyed to look like Turquoise it looks too blue and….well…cheap. Then you have the instances where it is dyed a brighter blue to imitate Lapis. Those are pretty convincing and are just as pretty as the real deal. Bottom line? It’s at its best and most beautiful in natural form. Again, this is just my take. “I’m just sayin”….*emphatically waving to Chris*

Natural Howlite


You can see what I mean about it looking so cheap when it's dyed to look like Turquoise...



In jewelry I would definitely pair it up with crystals that are anywhere from clear to silver shade (to match the grey matrix). It looks terrible with copper and brass metals so I stick with silver only. If you have stones with a darker matrix they look great with black onyx or black agate.

So there you have it friends, the skinny on Buffalo Turquoise …er…Howlite. And no, they don’t have wings!

Pic below of a baby white buffalo. Ain't he cute!!!!

No comments: