Monday, September 22, 2008

I found my old smile....

Call it "designer's block" I guess, but yesterday was my first day back in the workshop since last spring. Phewff it felt so good! I walked in and saw all of my new beads still sitting patiently on the side bench waiting to be sorted and cataloged. A distant smile reached my face when I realized that most of them were purchased on my last trip to Puerto Rico back in April. What a great time my hubby and I had. He loves to walk around the bead stores down there with me, and he even picks some stuff out!

So there I was standing in the middle of my lonely workshop slowly looking around. Carefully checking each shelf, bead caddy and table top. I think my new anvil for wire work winked at me! The crystals were chattering and the stones were staring long and hard at my face. Where to start? I absentmindedly reached for the turquoise first, of course, and slid it onto sterling wire...what goes nicely with turquoise....ooooooh the red coral....better put a pretty silver bead in there....let's add a white pearl too....now for some wire work...a twist here....let's loop it and put a crystal inside of the loop. VOILA! A funky new pendant!




"Meow?", came the question from kitty who popped her sleepy head over the top stair. She was taking her afternoon cat nap and heard me up in the shop...she must have been surprised to hear me up there since it had been so long. I greeted her and told her to join me so she let out a friendly "prrrrrtt" and trotted over to her favorite spot where there always seems to be a cheery sun beam.

The creative juices were flowing and I didn't have time to dilly dally! I jumped up over to the brass section and pulled out all of my vintage chain and a pretty little butterfly pendant. Those crystals were still chattering so I grabbed the Olivine bicones (pretty olive green color with AB finish) to quiet them down and then reached for the brass findings tray. What stone would look good here? Hmm.......I know.....Jade!

Before I knew it I was looking down at a finished Jade and brass necklace. I smiled. Wait...I had been smiling the entire time. It felt good. Real good.





If there's something that brings you joy but you haven't had the chance in a while to get to it.....drop what you're doing and go for it. You WILL feel better and that smile is sure to stretch across your face again. Or wiggle your whiskers!

~LeeAnn M.

p.s. - Oh and...it's good to be back. ;)

Coll - thanks for the [in]spiration to get my butt back on this blog. (winking uncontrollably!) Let me know when that link is ready as I will post it here.

1 comment:

Colleen said...

So glad to see you blogging again...and even more importantly back in your workshop! These pieces are gorgeous...especially drooling over that yummy Jade.
Love,
Colleen