Wednesday, September 24, 2008

What the heck is an Etsy???

Simple...it's a web market that's "Your place to buy & sell all things handmade". No no no it's not corny, I promise. First, it's pronounced "etsie" so please don't make the same mistake I had made at first by saying each letter E.T.S.Y. Second, not everything is handmade as there is a "Vintage" category to shop and sell. There's also a "Bead" section that allows machined beads to be sold. Mmm, yes I was disappointed as well but once I started to browse the shops I got over it real fast.

There are some amazing artists selling/showcasing their work on Etsy. My first purchase was a pen and watercolor print from Maeve Wright (store name: Purrpendiculous) who hails from England. Her use of color and patterns is amazing; I've never seen anything quite like it actually. Then I began to browse other artists' shops but quickly realized that I better keep my "clicking" in check as in no time my shopping cart was...er...becoming a little crowded.

I was also blown away by some of the jewelry designs. My jaw was swinging and it dawned on me that this was MUCH bigger than a couple of "weekenders" selling their ten dollar beaded necklaces for some extra shoe money. No. These are serious artists that, for the most part, have their own websites independent of Etsy. I noted that a number of these gals and guys had relevant educations as well. So was I sweatin' a bit? Uhm.....yes ma'am!

It took about three days for me to set up my shop on Etsy because, you know, everything had to be perfect before I hit the "go public" button. After a year on Etsy I've picked up a few tips you might like to know if you're planning to open a shop there:

~ Take some time to browse as many shops in as many categories as possible before opening your shop. This will help inspire you as well as give you more of an idea of what you want your store front to look like. It will also help you figure out what not to do.

~ Network! Network! Network! There is a feature where you can collect all of your favorite sellers....use it. A lot. Talk to your fellow artists as you never know what helpful tips you might pick up (that they are willing to offer). Ever hear "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours"? Mmmhmm, it's true. One of my bead vendors threw me a bone after her and I had several discussions about some custom bead orders. She passed on my shop address and before I knew it I had two necklaces in their boxes ready to be shipped. You can bet I placed that bead order!

~ When listing one of your pieces please don't rip yourself off. "Beating out" other jewelry prices on Etsy doesn't do any of us, including you, any favors. When calculating price you must consider Cost of Supplies + Expenses (rule of thumb is 10% of cost) + Your Time (yes, it didn't make itself inside of a second) = List Price. The more well known designer's are able to include Mark Up in the calculation because their loyal customers are more than willing to pay for their work. Underpricing your work will also send the wrong message to perspective buyers "why so cheap? Is it made from imitation materials?". A very helpful site I use for business tips such as pricing: http://www.home-jewelry-business-success-tips.com/index.html

~ Be aware that you are taking a huge risk whenever you ship a piece before you receive payment. If a customer pushes the issue, kindly and as professionally as possible, explain that your store policy is payment before shipping. When is the last time you walked out of a department store without paying for something?? Can you imagine if they stop you at the door and you casually shot off, "Oh, I want to wear it for a little while and plan to send a check next week". Right. Let me know how that works out for ya'.

~ Respect your fellow artists.

~ Feedback. I think this feature is wonderful, but I've witnessed some messy bouts when someone unfairly leaves negative feedback after a transaction. I have been extremely lucky thus far with 100% positive feedback. If you ever find yourself on the receiving end of negative feedback, just remember to keep your cool. You are a responsible shop owner...act like one. First thing to remember is that when you are selling an item, you never leave feedback first. Let the buyer submit the first comment. Adversely, when you purchase from a fellow artist make sure that you leave positive feedback when you receive your goods. Unless of course the transaction was a complete disaster...which, by the way, is VERY rare. Pahleeeez do not hold the artist responsible for the flaws of our postal system. If for any reason you have the knee jerk reaction to leave a PERMANENT stain on their shop records, send a courtesy email first. Give the artist a chance to explain themselves and/or the unfortunate situation. If you're still disgruntled, remember that they have a chance to respond to your negative feedback on your public record. Now you are starting to see what I mean about the potential messiness, eh?

So there you have it....now go take the handmade pledge and create!

~LeeAnn M.

p.s. - you can check out my shop on Etsy via the link on the upper left hand side of this blogspot!! Happy shopping ;)

No comments: